Many people are suffering from tooth loss regardless of the developments in the dental care. The major reason for the teeth loss being, tooth decay, injury, periodontal diseases, excessive wear and root canal failure. The main solution to these problems were dentures and bridges, however, nowadays, dental implants have been made available to people who want to replace their missing teeth.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants have been around for some time. Dental implants are metal frames or posts that are surgically located in the jaw under the gums. This frames or posts are crucial to the dentists as they allow him or her to mount the replacement teeth onto them. The implants offer a strong base for the fixed teeth. The artificial teeth are made to match your natural teeth.
The advantages of dental implants
Implants are known to provide a firm support for the artificial teeth. When compared to bridges or dentures, dental implants are an effective long-term solution to people who are suffering from chronic dental problems and missing teeth. Dental implants Downers Grove IL are also effective. The advantages of dental implants are;
- Since dental implants are made to match the natural tooth, they look and feel just like your own tooth. They become permanent because they are attached to your jaw bone under your gums, therefore, improving their appearance as well as your smile.
- It can be embarrassing for dentures to slip within your mouth due to poor fitting. However, dental implant allows you to be confident when you speak without having to worry that the teeth can slip. The dental implants will improve your self-esteem by making you feel better.
- Dental implants improve your oral health. Your mouth is the window to your general health. The implants improve the oral hygiene since there is no tooth that is changed to support the implant. Actually, most of them are left untouched.
- Dental implants are durable compared to dentures and bridges. Implants are the best choice for a long-term tooth replacement. The dental implants can last for up to 15 years before the normal wear. However, the durability of the implants mainly depends on the overall oral health and the lifestyle of the patients.
Components of dental implants
There are three main components of a dental implant namely the implant, the abutment, and the crown.
- The implant works as the root for the new spare tooth. It is the one that is permanently attached to the jaw bone.
- The abutment is permanent but can be removed. It supports and clamps a set of teeth or a tooth. It holds the crown in position.
- The crown is the part of the tooth that is visible to your eyes. It is commonly made of porcelain or zirconium for good aesthetics and durability.
Types of dental implants
The types of dental implant are classified by the procedure used to place them.
- Subperiosteal implants
- Single-stage dental implants
- Endosteal implants
- Two-stage dental implant
The success of the dental implant also is determined by the position in the jaw where the dental implants are being placed. However, if properly taken care of, dental implants can last a lifetime.